As Lockport continues to flourish and grow, so does its need for thoughtful, responsible project management of both new and existing development construction and upgrade projects. The Lockport engineering department, headed by the Director of Public Works & Engineering, is in place to ensure construction occurring in Lockport, big or small, is done in a safe, cost effective, and timely manner.
The City of Lockport's Engineering Department provides the following services:
Public Construction (Internal Projects)
- Project design engineering
- Project construction engineering
- Bidding and contract documentation
- Project closeout documentation
- Administration of yearly water/ sewer projects
- Identification of applicable State & Federal grant funding opportunities
- Coordination with local, country, state, and federal agencies
- Annually updating and implementing the city's Capital Improvement Program
- Produce solutions to past problems such as localized flooding, inadequate utilities or transportation congestion, and safety
Private Construction (External Projects)
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly project inspections
- Perform necessary SWPPP inspections
- Development plan review
- Evaluation of environmental issues within City limits
- Manage City's NPDES Storm Water permit
- Administration of project preconstruction meetings
- Bond/LOC administration
- Floodplain assistance
Utility Permitting and Resident Services
- Resolve drainage related service requests
- Administration of utility permits
- Evaluation of residential sidewalk requests
- Evaluation of residential signage requests
- GIS field locating
- Preparing proposals, specifications, and construction contracts for City Council approval
2018-2027 Capital Improvement Plan
4/2/19 - ROAD CLOSURE UPDATE: As part of the State Street Watermain Inprovements, the 10th Street at the railroad crossing will be close 4/2/19 and 4/3/19 from 7 am to 2 pm. Please access parking lot via 9th Street during this time.
4/2/19 - PUBLIC MEETING UPDATE: A public meeting will be held Thursday, April 25, 2019 at City Hall regarding the IL-7 Channelization Project. The open house will be from 4 pm - 6 pm. The project will start in 2020.
3/28/19 - CONSTRUCTION NOTICE UPDATE: The 17th & Jefferson Roadway Reconstruction Project has started. This project includes the full reconstruction of 17th Street, from Washington to Madison, and Jefferson Street from 16th to 18th. Please use caution when traveling through the area. Pedestrians are advised to use clear sidewalks and not to disturb equipment.